Thursday, October 22, 2015

Cubs Flounder, need something good for the sole

Well, they lost in spectacular fashion. At the end, I couldn't watch. A team we beat 7 times in the regular season trounced us. The Cubs are a young team, and got way further than anyone expected, but I was so hopeful that they would at least make a go of it. Lots of cheap Cubs paraphernalia around town. By Christmas some people will want it.
     Now for the sole -- as I explained in our email newsletter today, we don't really have any in the US, all the flat fish we call sole are actually flounder. The only true sole is Dover sole, from Europe, an amazing fish. When I lived in England, I used to love to order it in a restaurant and get a whole small fish which they would fillet at the table. So delicious when it's cooked whole - much more flavor, not sure why. Must be the bones.
     Dover sole is very expensive now, so we don't carry it on a regular basis. During the holidays we always get inquiries, and can certainly take special orders, for both Dover sole and French turbot, my absolute favorite fish.
     Don't be fooled by the west coast flounder that gets sold in supermarkets as Dover sole - it isn't the same fish, by a long shot. If you see something called Dover sole for $9.95/lb., I guarantee it's not the real thing.
     Cooking sole is easy - it cooks very quickly, because the fillets tend to be fairly thin. One of my favorites is the traditional Sole Almondine - in this case, Flounder Almondine. I gently saute the almonds in a little butter, then coat the fish in seasoned flour and saute in a mixture of butter and olive oil. I top with the almonds and serve with a lemon wedge - totally easy. I love using my Lodge wrought iron pan - it heats beautifully and cooks the fish perfectly. A good, heavy pan makes a great difference in many preparations.
     Making a stuffed sole is also easy - you just make your stuffing and wrap a fillet around it. We're doing a Florentine version this weekend (spinach stuffing), but this mild fish lends itself to many types of stuffing.
     Give flounder/sole a try - I believe it was a piece of beautifully prepared sole that influenced Julia Child to become a chef - thank goodness she did!
     As always, we'd love to hear from you about your favorite sole recipes.
   
     

No comments:

Post a Comment